[TenTec] Omni 6 rig control with Writelog

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6 rig control with Writelog
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 21:31:00 -0500
I am finally getting around to trying Writelog rig control of my Omni 6+
and I have a few questions.

1) I have two DB9 com ports on the back of my computer. Com 2 is used
for the TNC; I plan on using com 1 for the Omni. However, the internal
modem uses com 3. I am NOT planning on using/accessing the modem while
using Writelog. Will I be able to use com 1 for rig control without any
conflicts?

2) Must I go into the port section of Writelog.ini and make any changes?
(When I connected the KAM TNC, I recall having to change the default
writelog.ini entry for com 2 of "9600, N,8,1,x" to "4800, N,8,1,"). Will
I have to change the speed and remove the "x" for the Omni on com 1?

3) On the Omni set-up menu, what speed should I choose?

4) In "settings-control panel-system-com ports", it appears that there
is a default speed of 9600 for each com port. Will I have to change this
default?

5) Any tips or tricks when going to "port setup" in Writelog? i.e., set
a specific speed vs "auto", etc. BTW, I am not using a com port for PTT-
that is handled by the KAM.

Hopefully, that covers all the bases. If I have overlooked anything,
please feel free to comment in addition to the questions above...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and hope to see you in
the contest this weekend (if the Michigan February thunderstorms they're
predicting aren't too bad)!

73/Carter/K8VT

P.S. At least the radio per se is working-while testing tonight, CN8KD
called me and we had a nice qso  :-)