[TenTec] VFO jumper info?, CW paddles, Talk to your XYL...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] VFO jumper info?, CW paddles, Talk to your XYL...
From: wb5jnc@juno.com (wb5jnc@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 20:41:00 EDT
Greetings all,

The subject line of this message may seem like a series of unrelated
items -- which it is while it is not. Hopefully you will understand the
connection in a moment.

1. In the process of inventorying the "goodies" of a silent key I ran
across a small Molex type connector which looks like what I remember a TT
VFO jumper to be. It is a square 9 pin plug about 1/2" across the opening
with a white wire from pin 1 to pin 7. Doesn't match any of my current TT
but seems like it might be for old Omni or Delta or Corsair? Caveat:
owner was not a TT'er that I know of but might have been in the past.

2. Also included in the estate is a Wm. Nye brass "Speedex" hand key
(model 312 if I am identifying it right) and paddle combination (can't
tell if the base they are mounted on [black wrinkle finish aluminum
plate] is factory or not). I'm familiar with the Nye hand key line (I
currently own a 310 series) -- but are their paddles decent, and if so,
what is the combination worth? (Thinking about this one for my own use.)

3. By now you may be putting things together as to why I say "Talk to
your XYL...." Not something we care to talk about, but here's my reason:
a fellow ham (age "fiftysomething" +/-) who had a close association with
my employer passed away suddenly and unexpectedly from a massive heart
attack. I called his widow to express my condolences, and in the process
of the conversation I asked her if she had made any arrangements
concerning his ham equipment. Needless to say, she indicated that she
didn't have a clue as to what anything was worth or what to do with it.
She said she figured "take it to a hamfest and say '$50 and it's yours.'
" My XYL and I went to her place and inventoried. I have since sold close
to $1K of stuff (mostly VHF/UHF and accessories) for the widow and still
have a huge pile to go. Therefore, unless you want your XYL to sell your
Omni VI+ and Herc II for $50 each should you make an unplanned premature
departure from this life, I'd suggest letting her know what things are
worth and/or make some kind of arrangements. Once again, not exactly a
pleasant subject, but hopefully this might help some widowed XYL in the
future.

TNX/73, Al

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.