[TenTec] Decisions - Sell TT Gear

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Decisions - Sell TT Gear
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:40:54 -1000
Hi again,

And thanks to the many of you who have taken the time
to reply.

So far,  the vote would be keep only the Corsair II.  However,
a couple of you also have all three rigs.  Those two folks
have suggested that the Omni ought to be retained,  and one
said he can hear signals with his Omni VI+,  that CANNOT
be heard/copied with either the Triton 544 or the Corsair II!
That was a bit of a surprise;  didn't say what his filter line
up was in his rigs. My Corsair II is missing a filter in the
#2SSB/ #1 CW slot.  Assume it contains the "standard"
TT 2.4,  blank,  500 and 250 HZ filters.  I find it tough to
see any benefit at all to the 250Hz filter;  it only cuts out
the far tails of a CW signal which the 500 Hz misses.

One of the strongest proponents of retaining the Corsair II
advises it has "the best receiver which TT has ever built!".

So,  there are two contradictory opinions.  I have been sitting
here for a couple hours or so,  comparing all three rigs again.
At this moment,  I lean just a bit back to the OmniVI+,  partly
because of the DSP (which seems to me to add some CW
peaking,  thought I know it is not claimed to be a spec/feature
of the rig).  I do find the Corsair to be a bit "awkward" to use,
and I keep fiddling with the Resonate knob on the Triton to be
sure I am max sensitivity.  I honestly find it very difficult to
hear a superior s/n ratio among the three designs;  at times,
I think the Omni has a higher noise floor,  but then,  when
comparing more critically,  seems not to be the case.

Another delta,  is that the filters in the Omni are INRAD;  guess
I should put them in the Corsair to see what difference they
might make over there in the rig.

Other comments were to keep all three,  and arrange them
so any one could be used within a moments decision,  even
sent a photo along of his similar set up,  thought it had even
more rigs to select -- Heath,  Drake,  etc.!  Another advised
that he had them all plus other TT's, and seemed to prefer,
and kept only his Omni C !

Anyway,  thanks so much for your opinions, and keep them coming.
Unfortunately,  no one has made it easy for me yet by offering
to purchase one or more of these rigs,  hi.  Any reasonable
offer will be seriously considered.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai