[TenTec] Decisions - Sell TT Gear

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Decisions - Sell TT Gear
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:09:59 -1000
HI to all following this thread,

In the VERY early morning hours of this Monday,  this note
came in from K4OWN:

"Jim:  Considering the delimma that you are faced with, my suggestion is to
keep ALL the Ten Tec rigs you presently own and not sell any of them.  What
happens should you sell a rig and then realize the very rig you sold had
features that suited you that the others lacked or do not perform as well?
Perhaps your operating technique may change and you realize the rig you sold
would have been better suited to your new technique?   Why are you in such a
hurry to get rid of otherwise excellent equipment?  If you sell it and later
realize that was a mistake, it probably will cost you more to purchase it
later. The price of used Ten Tec equipment has gone up over time.  It is not
like a car or real estate with personal property or real estate taxes and
insurance cost that accrue.  In other words, since it is not costing you
anything to keep the equipment, I see no need to dispose of it.  Just own,
use and enjoy them for what they represent. - 73's- Corn -k4own."

The above is similar to several notes of yesterday and today  In fact,
I have been sent a few photos of "shacks" in which several rigs
are sitting side by side,  and nearly instantly switch selectable for
operation.  In fact,  my set up here is nearly that way.  Should you
care to have a look,  you can check out:

http://www.karc.net/Activities/Photokh7m12.htm#12a

The Corsair II is now on the shelf directly below the Triton
to my right in the photo (just beside my face,  top photo
is the Triton;  note the TT "processor"  just above the top
of my head on the shelf beside the TT power supplies.

 And the Omni has moved to the shelf directly below the
Henry amplifier controller unit (just above the power/vswr
meters showing in the lower photo).  And yes that is a
Yaecomwood front and center,  hi.  In the lower photo,
I am using the Triton for the Hawaii Afternoon Net with
the original TT microphone "copy" of the Electrovoice
(TT was begun by the fellow who had operated/founded
Electrovoice;  there was an EV faciltiy nearly across the
street from TT in the past,  maybe still there,  don't know).
Unfortunately,  the Triton just about requires use of that
microphone unless you have the TT external processor,
but even that will not accept the "new"  TT 705 as the
connector is wired;  screws on,  but doesn't operate,
believe the signal is on a different pin.  I have had the
FT-1000 much longer than any of the TT stuff;  tried to
sell the 1000 at one time,  but it came back, after I had
ordered and rcv'd the new Omni VI+!

Fellow claimed it really wasn't a "D" model since all it said
on the panel was "FT-1000".  I tried to tell him that is
the way they are made,  that the D is a creation of
Yaesu US marketing - just a loaded 1000 - and that
there is no such thing in Japan at the factory which
describes a factory D version.  He wouldn't buy that,
so I took the radio back.  Guess I am not a particularly
good salesman/bargainer anyway,  hi.  Thus I still have
both the Omni and FT rigs.

Anyway,  for now,  I am going to accept the advice of K4OWN,
and several others:  just keep the gear for now,  and enjoy it.
As I know I will  lose money should I sell,  and I would also
have to pay the shipping back to the US mainland of any
of this gear via Fed Ex Air,  which is not cheap either.  All
ready paid that shipping once to get all this stuff out here.
So I accept my fate,  there is no "win" here,  so will just
continue to fiddle with and operate these rigs.

I am going to put a filter in the missing slot within the Corsiar;
have decided that is really bugging me and probably contributes
to my "awkward" operation of the Corsair.

Anyway,  thank you to the very many of you who have participated
in this discussion.  Who knows,  I may come out with some added/
more detailed comparison reports beyond those done in the past
among these rigs,  and perhaps to the FT-1000,  why not?
And yes,  I have also gotten notes from some of the folks
from whom I bought some of these TT units;  good to hear from
you as well.  And,  to the several who have asked about prices
for this or that item or rig set up;  guess I will keep all for now,
for the reasons discussed.

Very 73 and 88,  as appropriate.  See you on CW or SSB
some where!  Always willing to set up skeds with those who
might need Kauai County or Hawaii on a mode or band.

Jim,  KH7M