[TenTec] Ten Tec & RF sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec & RF sensitivity
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:03:28 -0500
A long wire is a fairly useless antenna, (flame suit on, HI),  having way
too high an impedance  (3000 or more ohms plus reactance),  for most
transmatches, even if you are getting one to one, it is all RF loss in the
transmatch I will wager.  The long wire mainly has response off its far end,
and depending on exactly how long may have some other lobes, but is so
directional I would not use one again as a general antenna.  I HAD a 400
foot one in 9M2 land, and could never get it to not have RF in the shack on
the case of every radio at 50 watts!

I had very poor ground conductivity there, do you?  I would try a quarter
wave counterpoise insulated wire around the base board or out the shack
wall, if you can.

I started out radio with Marconi antennas, and never did any real good until
I got a dipole.  Now I use balanced antennas either vertical dipoles or
horizontals, loops, quads or Yagis.
73,
Stuart K5KVH