[TenTec] Ten Tec & RF sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec & RF sensitivity
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:49:14 -0700
Stuart;

Balanced antennas are of course the better choice and in fact are my
preferred antennas.  However, for those of us who are fighting
[unconstitutional] antenna restrictions are forced to use stealth or
otherwise hidden antenna techniques to fool and deceive our neighbors.
Typically the antenna of choice is either a random or resonant length of
wire against ground (or a counterpoise).  In my current situation I use a
200 foot (random) wire and an SGC-230 remote antenna tuner located right at
my "reasonably excellent" ground system.  With this set-up I am able to work
160 thru 6 meters worldwide and have no detectable RFI problems or "hot
spots".  This was not true when I used a manual tuner located in the shack
with a ground lead that had to be about 12 feet long.  So it is quite
possible to use end fed wires with very good worldwide results and no RFI
problems to deal with.

Reid, K7YX