[TenTec] Omni VI +

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI +
From: wmeahan@wa8tzg.org (Bill Meahan)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:38:46 -0500
On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:22:21 -0600
"Paul DeWitte K9OT" <k9ot@mhtc.net> wrote:

> I presently have a Corsair II and am thinking of up grading to an
OmniVI or
> a Jupiter. Can anyone give me a comparison of the Omni VI and the
Jupiter?
> Also the Omni VI and the CorsairII. Maybe the OmniVI is not worth the
> difference in cost over the CorsairII.  This is mostly for cw and
contesting
> and chasing DX. I am leaning towards the Omni VI but the cost a large
> factor. Thanks for any replies 73  Paul K9OT

It's terribly easy to get caught up in lab numbers and feature lists but
is that really what you want?

Ask youself:

     "What is there that I really, really want to do that I simply
cannot
      do with my current rig?"

     "What is there that I reasonably expect I will want to do in a
      year or two that I cannot do with my current rig?"

     "What is there that I can do now but is really really difficult to
      do with my current rig?"

     "What is there that I can do now but isn't very easy to do with my
      current rig?"

     "How much am I willing to pay to change these things?"

The answers to these questions will give you the only real basis for
comparing rigs, current and proposed. Note that these are all based on
what *you* want to do, not what I want to do or the QST lab wants to do
or Riley Hollingsworth wants to do. It really doesn't matter what anyone
else has in mind, they are not you and you are not them so make sure
your criteria are based on your own wants and needs. Note also these are
in a priority order. Making what you can't do possible is more important
than making an easy task easier.

You may be amazed to find your current rig does a really good job of
meeting your needs (and wants). If so, why fork out the money for a new
rig? Of course if your current rig isn't doing the job (or won't do the
new job) you then can find which rig best fits the criteria and purchase
that one, not the one with the best "numbers" or the most "features" on
it.

Of course, this approach differs significantly from the one the
Marketing Department wants you to follow :-) But in the end, it's the
only one that will make you truly happy.

--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG         wmeahan@wa8tzg.org
"Always do right. This will gratify some people