[TenTec] Omni VI +

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI +
From: jlboockh@otenet.gr (JimB)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:06:57 +0200
Paul-

I use a Corsair II at my station here in Greece. I use an Omni VI option
3 upgrade to a VI+ at my station in the USA. I have compared the two
rigs side by side.

Both are a pleasure to use. The VI+ has a more sensitive receiver. (I
compared them with the same weak signal using the same antenna.) The VI+
has DSP that pulls almost inaudible CW signals out of the noise. This is
the feature I miss most. The memories in the VI are a convenience; I
find myself twisting the dial a lot more with the II. Also, the dual
VFO's in the VI are easier to use than the remote VFO for the II. The VI
has the INRAD audio mod with INRAD filters that make the II's audio
sound tinny in comparison.

I've toyed with the idea of replacing the Corsair II in Greece with an
Omni VI. But I probably won't, since I don't spend enough time here to
justify the additional cost. But then I would never replace the Omni VI+
in the USA with a Corsair II. For you, the decision may depend on how
much money you how available. You won't go wrong either way.

                            Jim  SV0JB  (also N4AL)