[TenTec] Pegasus and Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and Tuners
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:44:48 -1000
>           I am about to buy a Pegasus and I was
> wondering what is the safe way to tune your
> antenna with a manual tuner using this radio.

As always,  tune up your antenna "system",  that
is,  including the feed line and the tuner,  using,
for example,  an MFJ-259.  This unit puts out milliwatts,
and can quickly establish the correct impedance setting
for the tuner between the feed system and the Pegasus.
I do it every day, if I QSY much.

Also,  if you have the MFJ,  or some other gadget which
can measure the antenna system R and jX at the end
of the transmission line in the shack,  along with the
info about the components within your antenna tuner
(max L and C of the components),  then go to:

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/tuner/tuner.html

and you will learn in an instant how your tuner should
be "set up".  And,  if you do not know the values of
your tuner components,  just use the default settings
at the above site.

Takes a bit of knowledge and component info,  but your
Pegasus will be happy at all times, hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M