[TenTec] Centaur

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centaur
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:10:42 -0600
I've always made it a practice to "tune for max output" on just about all
amps I've owned or built.  There are a couple of critical points however.
Certain elements i.e grid current must not be exceeded.  Reduce drive or
increase loading as necessary to keep grid current below max.  I've never
been too concerned about plate current as long as the tuning process is done
quickly.   If one has to keep the amp  "key down - full tilt boogie" for 5
minutes to do the tuning then that's another issue.  BTW, any adjustments on
a antenna tuner and the like should be done before the amp is switched on.

And keep in mind that most non-commercial power meters have an accuracy of
about 10% at full scale at best, less accuracy at less than full scale.  So
a power meter with a full scale range of 1000 watts might have an accuracy
of only 25 to 30 % at half scale.  Perhaps the 400 watts indicated could be
right for a FS 1KW meter.

73
Bob K4TAX