[TenTec] ORION Update

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION Update
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:07:21 -0500

> >You only need to be tuning one while transmitting/working stations
> >on the other.
>
> Sometimes ... but you don't need to be having to throw
> "one more switch" either ... that's the weakness I see.

"Sometimes"..hmmm..sorry...I can't come up with a scenario where I would be
tuning both while transmitting/working stations on one.

> >Having the ability to tune two VFO's at once is pretty pointless
> >and not worth the effort.
>
> Really ?

Yup.

> Ever tried it ?

Yup.

>Say searching 15m and 10m at the same time, looking
> for new stations to work in the SS ... Actually it can be useful
> ... and it
> can be done (not with a remote box, sigh) with the current FT-1000
> series gear ... just another option to have ... say when you are trying
> to work someone on 40m SSB, while needing to crank the other
> VFO up to their new xmit freq ... can't do that at the same time with
> one knob.

If you aren't transmitting, no one is going to hear you.  My practice is to
be calling CQ on one band while working my way through another.  When I'm
done with that band, I CQ on that band while working my way through the
other.  My S&P rates can sometimes hit 90....getting occasional answers to
my CQ's on the other radio adds a few more.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever tuned both radios at
once.  It's netted such poor results that I don't do it anymore.

73,
dale, kg5u