[TenTec] Signal heard with AF gain at minimum

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Signal heard with AF gain at minimum
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:26:19 -0400
It is most likely due to the sensitivity of your headphones.  The
noise you are hearing is not the noise floor of the RX, it is the
noise floor of the audio chain AFTER the volume control only.
When you use the speaker, you advance the volume control a
little bit and then the true noise floor of the RX overtakes the
noise of the audio pieces and parts.

A simple solution is to insert some resistance in series with
your 'phones.  Value?   Oh, maybe 330 to 470 ohms or so.  I
usually set the resistor value such that the volume in the
'phones and in the speaker are about the same without moving
the volume control.  That RS in-line volume control would
probably work well but I have not tried it.

-73-

-Lee-