[TenTec] Re: Orion Concern

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion Concern
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 16:11:47 -0400
A radio costing $3300 or so should have............................have
what?    IMHO, it should have receiver [and transmitter]
performance unavailable in any other amateur
transceiver........PERIOD!   All this other stuff about black case
and color display and the size of the name and I can't
remember all the other concerns are secondary matters in my
mind.

It is interesting to me that I have yet to see any criticism of
the electrical design of the radio.  No one seems to be
complaining about it's probable lousy overload performance or
it's poor FFT spectrum display or it's lack of full time dual
receive with diversity capability or it's limited filter selection
or, well, you get the point.   Looks to me like Ten Tec is in the
process of producing a radio that does what it does better
than anything else on the market.

So, I don't really care TOO MUCH how it it looks as long as it
performs the way I think it is going to perform.

But let's face it, there are people that will not buy a Ten Tec
radio no matter how well it looks, operates or how inexpensive
it is.  And, that's their option, and probably their loss.  So be
it.   But the rest of us have an exciting opportunity coming
soon.

Let's discuss some of the performance features of the thing
and how they can be used to improve our
net/DX/contest/whatever operations.  For instance, imagine
traffic net operations where we get sent off to another band
to pass some traffic.  Having the ability to run two amps and
instantly switch between them looks like a real plus to me,
especially if they are not "no tune" amps.

Other ideas?

-73-

-Lee-    WA3FIY