[TenTec] Re: 516 Price in Perspective

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 516 Price in Perspective
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (N1EU)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 04:40:09 -0700 (PDT)
Clark WA3JPG said:
"The Yaesu FT 817, not much of a receiver for rough
conditions, high current on receive"

Clark, I'm wondering what you didn't like about the
817's receiver?  It's no Omni VI, but I've found it
quite a capable performer with the Inrad/Collins 300hz
filter.  The ARRL Expanded Test Report numbers for
noise floor and dynamic range don't look too shabby
either.  They measured 370ma current consumption on
receive, which is quite workable for portable gel cell
operation.

(I hope this topically qualifies for the Ten-Tec
reflector since we're talking about a basis of
comparison for the 516.)

73,
Barry N1EU