[TenTec] Ten-Tec Gear at Field Day

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Gear at Field Day
From: jdroller@naxs.net (Jimmy D. Roller)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:25:57 -0400
I doubt if we could lay claim to the most TT gear, but it was all we
used at the N4IR FD effort. We used two OMNI VIs, two 238 tuners, and
the smaller antenna tuner whose number I forget. We were 2A Battery at
five watts QRP. I'm not sure about the other OMNI VI, but mine attended
its ninth Field Day. The only glitch we've ever had was this year, due
to poor battery management.

When we first entered the QRP arena 4 years ago, I asked TT engineers
how low the voltage could go on the OMNI VI before not good things
started happening. I was advised that 10.8 volts was it. This year, with
only a couple of hours to go, my OMNI VI started acting up. After
changing bands and tuner settings, once the power out was increased to
over 2.5 watts, the watt meter would peg out (at 20 watts) and the meter
light would dim noticeably. After checking the usual suspects like
antennas, feedlines, etc. we decided to check the battery voltage. It
was 10.2 volts! A fresh battery made it all well. BTW the watt meter/SWR
bridge is also the T-Kit 1202 wattmeter.

Aside from reliability and performance, we have been using the same
setup for several years at both 100 watts and 5 watts. We won our class
in 1A and 1A battery twice each and several second places at other times
over the last 10 years.

TenTec and Field Day are made for each other. The rigs are reliable and
"idiot proof".

73/CUL,

Jim, N4IR