[TenTec] RE: TenTec and Field Day

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: TenTec and Field Day
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:48:11 EDT
HI All: Our group ran an all TenTec 2A operation this year, with two Omni
VI's (both upgraded to option 3), a Jupiter, and a 6n2. That's 24 hours, four
rigs, and absolutely no rig problems. The problems the K5PN operation had
were lack of contest ops and lack of propagation when we had operators.
Durnit!

This is the 9th year for one of VI's, 7th for the other, first for both the
Jupiter and 6n2. The Omni's were on battery power for over 8 hours and nobody
noticed!

Everyone who has operated the VI's has commented about the ease of use and
the recievers ability to dig down and pull the weak ones from under the loud
stations who have moved in 1500 Hz up the band.

Several of the visitors,  we had a lot of visitors who weren't interested in
working the contest,  fired up the Jupiter we set up for the GOTA station and
were very favorably impressed also. Particularly with it's ability to operate
in a high RF environment, the reports they got on 17, and both the DSP
filtering and smooth CW. Regrettably we had nobody turn out for GOTA, but a
couple of the visitors were talking about ordering a Jupe as soon as they
could.

We had a short 6M opening, and the 6N2 more than proved its value, racking up
more than 50 Q's in less than 25 minutes. I think we sold a couple of those
also.

A couple of guest ops asked if I was interested in selling one of my Omni's.
Thanks but no thanks.

73 all

Pete Allen  AC5E