[TenTec] A hypothetic question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] A hypothetic question
From: kw0d@netexpress.net (Dave Kamp, KW0D)
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 16:00:55 -0500
Hi Raymond!

Ray, on this list, every-so-often, you'll notice that guys post WANTEDS (or
WTB) for 'fixer-uppers'.

You'll also notice that T_T fans are particularly particular about things
which wouldn't normally bother YaeComWood fans... like:
-'feel of knobs'
-color of rig
-color of display
-color of dot in T_T logo

And, as much as they love to put in their $0.02 worth, they'll still plunk
down several orders of magnitude higher, to buy one of the few, proudly
American-made rigs.  Colors, look, feel all aside, T_T owners are also
proud of their stuff... mebbie one could even use the terms devout, snobby,
or even anal... and as a result, their gear tends to be well-cared-for.

I'm fairly well-greased, otherwise I'd squeak when I walk, and I'm not
ashamed to admit that my Omni VI and Centurion AREN'T 10's... or 9's...
mebbie a 7.5735+/-, when you consider that an oscillator or two drifts
around a bit.  Truth is, I bought mine from an estate, which was handled
and transported by non-ham family members, so it has a few here'n there's,
and besides my shack being rather 'busy', I'm the type that's willing to
loan out even my good stuff to capable friends, so one might find a
battle-scar on something now and then.

Anyway, to bust the soapbox, there aren't too many people that end up with
T_T stuff that don't know what they've got, and as a result, they're more
often-than-not well cared for... and when they're not, they fall into the
'fixer-upper' category.

And for what it's worth, it's not unusual for me to give a guy a 5/9, and
then ask for a repeat call and name... just because the grey in my T_T
works a heckuva lot better than the grey between my ears... I'd forget my
own callsign if it weren't tattooed on the ceiling (next to Miss January)!
:-)

DK  :-)

>Hello, guys:
>       I'm an OT with relatively new introductions to TT, eBay, eHam, and
all
>the other sales possibilities. I have a new Jupiter, a second hand Scout,
and
>a wide assortment going back years and years.
>       As I new-comer to current marketing of used equipment, I have been
>puzzled by many seller evaluations. "This is a 10." "This is a 9+." "This
>one, if it weren't for three chips in the paint on the back side which you
>can hardly see, would be a 9 for sure."
>       My question may seem a bit off the wall. But does anyone ever
>advertise a rig and describe it is a "3," perhaps a "5+," or even a "7-." Or
>are there now only two levels, "10" and "9"? Is it a rig is either a "10" or
>a "9," then "don't ask" and "buyer beware" ? ? ?       8-)
>      Same things on the RST codes on CW or SSB.  I've noticed numbers of DX
>stations hand out "5&9" to all stations, even my tiny peanut, when I could
>barely read them on my rig. They would honestly be a 4&5, but they give me
a 5
>&9.  What gives? Is everything now magnificient or nearly so?        8-)

73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa