[TenTec] Argonaut review

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut review
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:40:53 -0400
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:24:29 +0000
"Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The first Argonaut review is on eham:
>
> http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2353#15793

Hi, Rob,

I respect that this review is an honest first impression, and a very
favorable one at that.  However, it's a review that won't influence my
purchase decision one way or another.  Why?  There are just too many
things in a rig you can't evaluate in a day or two.

My first impression of the Yaesu FT-817 was favorable.  I even rated it
a "4" when I reviewed it because it achieved one thing very well indeed
-- cramming an awful lot into a tiny package and doing it all reasonably
well given the limitations.  However, it's hardly a great performer, is
it?  One day one or two I was thrilled.  I'd have given it a "5".

I've posted a lot of reviews on eHam.  For rigs I generally wait until
I've operated them at least three months.  Then I know the ins and outs.
 Then I also know it's not likely to fail prematurely.  95% of
(consumer) electronic failures happen in the first 5% of service life.

So... I am really interested in the reviews as people get to know the
rigs better.  I also can't wait to see lab test results.  If anyone has
the necessary equipment those don't have to wait :)

All the best,
Caity
KU4QD