[TenTec] Filter questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Filter questions
From: maxmoon@umn.edu (Max Moon)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:16:35 -0600
Hello,
I recently got a Corsair I for CW (it's all I do, I never learned how to use
SSB). I was reading the manual today and it says that I can improve the
Corsair's performance by replacing the standard 2.4 kHz 4-pole filter at the
9-MHz IF with a TT#220, an 8-pole 2.4 kHz ladder filter. My guess is that
they mean SSB performance will improve. But I never use a 2.4kHz bandwidth
for anything.

(In addition to the standard 4-pole filter, the rig came with one of the
optional 6.3 MHz filter slots filled with an 8-pole 1.8 kHz (TT#288) which
is my regular choice. I added TT#282 & 285 (500 and 250Hz) for when the 1.8
kHz is too wide.)

My questions are: Would the rig's performance improve if instead of using
the TT#220 mentioned in the manual, I replaced the 9MHz IF standard 4-pole
filter with the TT#218, an 8-pole 1.8kHz filter? Or are there other filter
options that I should consider? Or am I pretty much already in Corsair I
heaven with the set-up I've already got?

Thanks very much.

Max, k0max

Or do you