[TenTec] Flamed by the Factory?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Flamed by the Factory?
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:21:32 -0800
We have a First Amendment... and it covers both parties here.  However,
although free speech is a protected right, libel isn't.

In my opinion, the person who trashed the Argonaut V without ANY personal
experience with the product was jumping to a conclusion that hasn't been
supported by the evidence... at least not any evidence that I've seen posted
to this reflector.  More objectionable, in my opinion, is that the criticism
offered wasn't positive, and it served no useful purpose.  Referring to the
rig as the 'Argobug' doesn't help me as a potential consumer and it doesn't
identify exactly what the problem is.  Instead it is an irresponsible and
unsubstantiated attack which would make others think that the new rig is
defect-ridden... something that I have seen no other person post.  In that
respect it is libelous.

No one has the right to not be offended.  No one has the right to offend
others unjustly.  I have never seen Ten-Tec respond negatively or
defensively to legitimate bug reports or other thoughtful criticism
(including some that I have made previously) concerning product design or
quality.  I can, however, understand Scott's frustration with someone who
would casually malign a product without any personal experience with that
product and basing that attack on third-hand information.    This is the
sort of thing that can ruinously affect a company, and Ten-Tec isn't some
multinational conglomerate... their yearly amateur-related gross sales are
probably less than the typical suburban Home Depot.

For those who are intimidated against making negative comments... why?  If
you have a basis for those comments, then what is the problem.  If you
don't, then why do you feel you should be allowed to unfairly trash
someone/something without being held accountable, or at least being
challenged?  Why is it okay for individuals to bash Ten-Tec but not for
Ten-Tec to object to, in my opinion, unsubstantiated and unfair bashing?

Do Ten-Tec rigs have problems in design and manufacture?  I'm sure they
do -- they're made by humans.  Could things be better in certain areas?
Definitely.  But the real questions are:

 - does Ten-Tec offer rigs that, absent manufacturing defects, meet or
exceed published specs?
 - does Ten-Tec offer good quality control so that nearly all items that
leave the factory do not have manufacturing defects?
 - does Ten-Tec stand behind their products?

It's been my limited experience that the answer to all three questions is
"Yes."  In that case, if a ham is not satisfied with a purchase that a)
works, and b) meets published specs, then the ham should take advantage of
the money-back guarantee and send the item back... and then not complain
that the item is junk.

Re the Argonaut V... I personally don't see myself buying one.  I would
rather pay a little more and have a Jupiter (or used Omni V or Paragon).  It
is not my idea of a great QRP portable rig... but then the rig was most
likely not designed to suit a customer like me.  That's okay... variety is
the spice of life.  I can see that it would make a great rig for the casual
ham who wants to dabble and run multiple modes, and wants more flexibility
and versatility than something like a Yaesu FT-840 or an Icom IC-718 offers
and is willing to give up a couple of S-units for the flexibility of true
QSK, lots of digital filters, a built-in HF digital port, a bulletproof
transmitter that will take an SWR mismatch, and ease of use.

Evaluate the specs, then if you are more interested try the item out.  It
still may not be for you, but as long as it works and meets published specs
you cannot honestly complain that the item is 'junk'.  And, please engage
the higher-level thought processes and refrain from thinking that one or two
users' problems repeated dozens of times on different Internet reflectors
equates to lots of problems, and subsequent derisive labeling of a product
with which you have no personal experience.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net