[TenTec] Pegasus S-Meter Anomaly

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus S-Meter Anomaly
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Wed Jan 29 09:57:57 2003
Jerry,

Thanks for the reply.

> The splatter could have been from an overdriven Collins rig, or an
> overdriven A/D.

I suspect it is a combination of the two and the fact that the Pegasus has a
15 kHz roofing filter so it was up to the DSP to get rid of the signal
anyways.

> The envelope of the SSB signal also follows the syllabic variations of
> the audio signal, so a fast AVC would show syllabic variations. Audio
> AVC would tend to be slower.

If the AGC were following the SSB signal, wouldn't it do it on all SSB
signals, not just the strong ones? Also, I have noticed the same behaviour
with strong AM signals (such as MW broadcasters). The SMeter is definitely
following the audio on strong signals. I think there must be some overload.

Mark