[TenTec] Pegasus S-Meter Anomaly

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus S-Meter Anomaly
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Wed Jan 29 10:15:40 2003
One other thing to think about is if the IF gain pot
has been "tweaked" for more gain you will see
degradation of the strong signal handling capability
of the Pegasus (the Jupiter too I would assume). When
the topic of the phantom signals was posted here on
the reflector a month or so ago I did some experiments
where I tried some different settings of the IF gain
pot, sure enough I could aggravate that problem with
ease. And one of the other obvious symptoms was clicks
and crackles from strong off frequency signals in
addition to phantom signals.

And yes there are two AGC loops, presumably then the
factory setting for the IF gain pot is optimized for
each to work within their own ranges properly, if you
bump up the IF gain pot then all bets are off.

Duane
N9DG