[TenTec] Ameritron QSK-5 switch

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ameritron QSK-5 switch
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Fri Jan 31 10:45:23 2003
I've not had or observed any problem with my Omni VI+ and Centurion amp.
It's QSK system works great.

I did buy and try a PIN diode switching system for my VHF operation some 4
years ago.  Primarily intended to switch the mast mounted preamp in and out.
The power amp ran some 1200 to 1500 watts output and the preamp had a noise
figure of <0.25dB with some 18 dB of gain.  Emphasis placed on HAD in the
previous sentence.  I fried several preamps in the process.  A couple of
them ended up with a hole in the PC board where the transistor used to be
located.  Finally went back to time sequenced hard keyed relays.  Haven't
lost a preamp device since.  Also one flash-over on the 4CX800A7 gets very
expensive to correct.

Don't advise this system unless you got money to replace parts and tubes
with.  Proceed with caution.

73
Bob, K4TAX