[TenTec] Ameritron QSK-5 switch

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ameritron QSK-5 switch
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Fri Jan 31 16:00:38 2003
I had been considering getting an 811A-based amp (SB200, AL800, etc.) to
help on the low bands as the solar cycle decreases... and just for the
ability to work some DX that wouldn't come back to my 100w call.

I did some price comparisons and found that the average SB200 went for close
to $300, while the average AL800 went for almost $400 and the Collins 30L1
was selling for upwards of $500.  I made the assumption that older amps
would most likely need some work (if not when purchased then within a year
or two as older components failed).  One thing that none of these amps
offered, but I wanted, was QSK with my Omni VI and any other rig I decided
to hook up to the amp, so I also added in the price of the MFJ/Ameritron
QSK-5... and realized that I could buy a pristine used Ten-Tec Centaur for
less.

So I did.

I understand the tube availability issue concerning the Centaur's
discontinuance... but seems to me the market would be VERY receptive of a
QUALITY 811A or 572B 500w-600w amp, 120v capable, with QSK.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net