[TenTec] Argo 5 - like it or not?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argo 5 - like it or not?
From: w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Sat Feb 1 19:42:51 2003
Hi All

I have not put an update of the Argonaut V on the reflector for six weeks or
so, I guess it is about time.  So here is what I feel about the Argo 5.

My Argonaut V was put into service on 21 Oct 02.  It is Model 516TCXO with
the fan kit, speaker and 705 mic.  I have used the 705 twice, to check the
audio of the Argo.  I use it on CW at 5 watts.  I also use the MFJ 493 Keyer
with Keyboard, I have not use or checked the built in keyer.

First about chirps-----What chirps, I have never had a report with chirps so
I feel the Argonaut V is chirp free.

Losing the memory----Yes mine did lose its memory one time.  I use the
memory system as a Band Switch, I can go up or down the bands that way.  Now
my Omni VI Plus has lost it memories more time then I want to think of, My
Pegasus has lost its memories also, they are some where in the computer I am
told but I never found them.  My Jupiter ( I have had both, the Jupiter and
Pegasus) has never lost its memory.  Do I think the Argonaut V has a problem
losing its memory---No.

>>>It's really unclear to me at this point if
most buyers are happy or frustrated with glitches.<<<<  All I can say is
WHAT GLITCHES?  This radio has operated day in and day out and NEVER has it
done things I could remotely call glitches.

The Argonaut V has been a joy to operate, the DSP Filter System is better
then in the Pegasus/Jupiter, has steeper skirts.  The preset AGC works to my
liking, fast or faster on CW and slower on SSB.  I do not miss the
Adjustable RF Gain Control, I find the attenuater button works when I need
to reduce the front end gain.  The CW Spotting works very well, I can get
right on frequency using it, not like some other brands I have used.  The
QSK lets me hear between my dits and has not gone away at my 20 to 25 wpm
speed.  I could go on and on but that is not needed. Everything works on my
Argonaut V, always has and hopefully, always will.

I use the little Argo 5 everyday and have made many qrp contacts, both DX
and stateside.  I do not have a Super Antenna System, just three GAP
Verticals, the Challenger, Titan and Voyage.  Using verticals, at least in
my way of thinking, will make or break the receiver in any radio.  The
Argonaut V takes the lack of gain in the antenna system and I work
everything I hear and that is a lot.

Yes I am Very Happy with my Argonaut V and tell every one that asks.  Give
it a try, you can't lose anything with Ten-Tec's 30 Day return policy.

I just installed Carl's Argonaut V Computer Control Program, it looks good
and does work, however I have not made a contact using it.  I will be around
7.040 tomorrow using the Argonaut V and the N4PY control program, with these
two items what more can I ask for?  How about the new Orion.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio  (The Buzzard Roost)
USAF Retired