[TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Wed Mar 5 10:40:39 2003
Jody,

I'm not familiar with the FT920 or TS570 so I can't compare them, but I do
think the Pegasus is a lot of radio for the money.

While one of its strengths is the computer interface, one of the biggest
weaknesses is the supplied control software. It provides access to most of
the features of the radio, but the user interface is clunky. There are some
3rd party alternative control programs, but they'll cost you an additional
$50 or so. Of course, if you are skilled at programming, you can write your
own control software. If that interests you, check out the TenTec website
where they have updated firmware for several of their radios,
www.rfsquared.com There you can download the Programmer's Reference Guide
that documents the computer interface protocol.

One thing to consider is do you really want to have to fire up a computer
every time you want to get on the air?  For some people that doesn't matter,
but I work with a computer all day and sometimes I just want to get away
from it an 'play' radio. In that case, I prefer a radio with real front
panel knobs and buttons.

Performance wise, the Pegasus receiver is average. It definitely does not do
as well as the 'high end' radios, but for most users the difference won't
cause a problem. However, the stations that you can hear on a 'high end'
radio that you can't hear on the Pegasus probably can't hear you anyways.
There will be plenty of stations that you can hear and can hear you with a
Pegasus.

Also, let me say that I have had no problems dealing with TenTec. They have
a 30-day return policy on new (and demo) radios. I've taken advantage of
that three times and never had a hassle. In the first case, the radio (a
Pegasus) was defective and I decided to not have it fixed, but just return
it (9 months later, I ended up buying another Pegasus and I still use it a
lot). The second and third times were radios that just didn't click for me.
I couldn't figure out how they would enhance my operation so I returned
them.

You may want to consider purchasing a demo unit. These are radios that have
been used as demos or returned by others on the 30 day return. TenTec won't
/ can't sell these returns as new so they check them out and resell them as
a demo. Every one is still covered by the 30 day return and full one year
factory warranty. The price is discounted (5%).

Mark