[TenTec] Radio Shack 25 amp switching supply?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Radio Shack 25 amp switching supply?
From: w5ben@arrl.net (Duane Budd)
Date: Mon Mar 10 06:54:43 2003
K4TAX SAID:

"Frankly understanding the complexity of switching power
supplies, it's best go with a company that knows what they
are doing."

And in my opinion that does NOT include Astron.

I had one of their switching supplies I was using in the
motorhome with an IC-706. I squatted, out of warranty,
naturally, and I could not get them to even tell me where to
send it for possible repairs.

I complained on a reflector back then and got a response
from a ham who was in a business in which the same supply
was being used to the tune of 40 or 50 units. He said they
had a 50% failure rate with the Astron switcher.

I trashed the Astron and replaced it with an Alinco. So far
(over a year now), it is performing FB.

73..

Duane Budd
<mailto:w5ben@arrl.net>