[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 17:48:35 2003
Well, I have close to fifty computers, 35 running on DOS/Novell networks, the
rest using various perversions of Windows. I much prefer the DOS boxes since
they work, work well, and don't overwrite the OS with TMP and CAB files. In
more than 10 years we have NEVER had a network crash.

Windows is another story entirely. Crashes are a daily and sometimes hourly
occurance. Even when Excel and Word are the only programs except WinXX on the
confusor.

I keep the original Windows distribution disks with each computer, and I
usually make an image backup of the bare Windoze installation - but even that
does not necessarily mean that I will be able to restore the computer to
operation without starting over from scratch.

I had a motherboard failure on one of the Win ME
computers that corrupted the hard drive. Replaced the motherboard, but of
course, it won't boot. The original distribution disk tells me there is an
operating system installed and I must use an ME upgrade disk. So I bought
one. Which can't find the licencing info so it won't install.

So I bought a complete version, and I'm out nearly the price of a new box.
But the complete version won't install either. Oh well, the computer works
fine on DOS - and I am about to find out how good, bad, or indifferent Linux
is. Because I am tired of living in Crash City.

73  Pete Allen AC5E