[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."
From: calderman@cox.net (Chester)
Date: Sun Mar 16 05:14:49 2003
If you reformatted the hard drive and got 'drastically reduced hard
drive space' then you didn't do it correct!! It just doesn't work that
way. What 'format' did you use? There are numerous versions of format
and you really should use the 'format' that is contained on your OS CD.
If you want to do it correct, then remove the partitions from your hard
drive, then repartition it, then format it. What does 'juggling disk' do
for you? Never heard of that!

We complain about Mr. Gates OS, but in fact 99% of the problem is with
the user. We don't read the operators manual for our radios, do you
really think we read the user's manual for the most important part of
our computer? Heck No! The computer is 'exact' device, that is, it
requires a 'one' or a 'zero' and if we users don't give it exactly what
it requires, IT IS NOT GOING TO BE STABLE for us. Remember that
computers are not as forgiving as our radios; after all we all know that
468/f is not an exactly correct formula for wavelength, but it gets us
close. Using a 'format' that is not supplied with the OS is more than
likely to get us close, but our computers believe 'close' is not good
enough.

At my work, we have a nation-wide NT network system and 4500 users whose
desktop are all running Win2K. We have found over the years that we
eliminate 90% of desktop problems by locking the user out of the
operating system and not allowing them to download 'better' programs for
their desktop.

If you don't take the time to learn the basics of a computer, your going
to have more trouble than the computer is worth.

Tom/W4BQF
calderman AT cox.net