[TenTec] Ten-Tec Model 200 VFO FS

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Model 200 VFO FS
From: chchandler@adelphia.net (Chuck Chandler)
Date: Thu Mar 27 16:56:14 2003
I have a Model 200 VFO for sale, anyone interested please drop me a line.  I
had no idea this was valuable.  I got it when I bought my first rig in 1983,
a crystal-controlled Eico.  The ham who sold it to me threw in the VFO.  I
used it a few times, made a few shaky, nervous 15M QSO's.  It stayed in my
parent's basement when I moved out.  No floods, clean and dry!  AFAIK, it
was working then.

Last week I was helping my Dad fix a sticky key on his 2 meter rig and he
mentioned I had left a few items of ham equipment behind twenty some-odd
years ago.  I brought the VFO home thinking I might be able to use it for
something.  I did a Google search to see if I could find a manual and came a
cross a reference to this being rare and valuable.

Well, I took the cover off to see what it looked like inside.  Everything
looks fine to the naked eye.  The cord that turns the dial (not the pointer)
was held under tension by an elastic band (guessing THAT wasn't factory
spec!) and the elastic band has melted away and is gunked up on a chassis
bolt.  The cord looks OK though.  The Pointer cord works, although it
doesn't go all the way in either direction.  Maybe a total of 75% of the
entire band?  That one has a spring to maintain tension.

The main tuning knob is different from the one in a picture on line.  Mine
has no spinner, and has a circle of felt fabric behind it.  Probably a mod.
There are a few scratches on the case, but nothing huge.

I have NOT yet powered it up.  I have a DVM that measures frequency to 10
MHz, might try to see if it puts out a signal.

If anyone is interested, I can email pix.

I'd like to see this go to someone who can put it to good use, maybe in a
Ten-Tec station.

73 de Chuck, WS1L
Chuck and Stacie Chandler
Home e-mails -