[TenTec] Enhanced SSB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Enhanced SSB
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Fri Apr 18 15:06:59 2003
If the Collins S-line you had used 3.1 KHz filters it was something
changed after the factory. The S-line filter (in my 75S3B FA21... part
number stands for 2.1 KHz). The Gold Dust twins might have had a wider
filter. I had only a brass board of the KWS1 exciter and it lost its
filter and I sold it and its been trashed as far as I can determine.

Still there's little need for amateur radio communications to have audio
bandwidth from 50 to 15,000 Hz. It just organizes the receiver noise to
be more of the ambient noise of the transmitting facility which probably
isn't of broadcast quality with soundproof doors and adequate acoustical
damping to let the microphone hear only the "golden tones" of the ham
transmitting. AM broadcast doesn't even allow going to 15 KHz.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer.
Reproduction by permission only.