[TenTec] Fw: The Argonaut V, a beautiful radio implementing DSP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: The Argonaut V, a beautiful radio implementing DSP
From: wa2pvk@msn.com (WILLIAM MANSEY)
Date: Wed Jun 4 00:57:08 2003
Hi Stuart,
    Those antennas should work well.  I have a private home and lot but the
lot is not very large.  Added to that size limitation is the fact that the
power line coming into the house runs diagonally across the back yard!
:-(  I am limited to using wire antennas and a couple of small Cushcraft
MA-5V antennas.  I have an inverted V (80~10) running N/S along the side of
the yard and a sloper that runs E/W.  I use the wire antennas and one
vertical with the Orion and the other vertical with the Argo.  I have a 40'
telescopic tower that supports the apex of the "V" as well as the high end
of the spoper at the 40' level'  The tower also has a 10' mast at the top
that is home for my Comet GP-9 antenna.  I also have a 6 meter ground plane
antenna mounted on a standoff bracket on the tower.  My remaining antenna is
a 6 meter 5/8 wave co-linear antenna.  This and one of the Cushcrafts are
mounted on separate 20' push-up poles and the other Cushcraft is mounted, on
a 6' mast, to a vent pipe on the roof.
    To make a LONG story short(er) I have worked pretty decent DX with the
Argo (barefoot) and one of the MA-5V verticals.  These contacts include New
Zealand, Australia, and Tasmania.  I can understand why some operators want
their huge towers and legal limit amplifiers BUT these are NOT necessary as
far as I am concerned.  Some of my DX contacts were made despite sizeable
pile-ups! (The Heil HC-4 cartridge really DOES work!)  I am sure that you
are familiar with that and the Heil HM-10 microphones BUT if not - Please
check into them!  They would give you an edge on Field day!  I have an HM-10
dual (HC-4 and HC-5 elements) that I had used with the Argo but now use with
the Orion.  I also have some HM-10 mics, with just the HC-5 elements, that I
use with the Argo and the 6n2s.  I know - You did not "ask".  I hope you do
not mind my "answer" anyway.  Good luck in THE contest! 73, Bill

PS: I spend most of my HF time on 17 meters.  (18.137.00)
wa2pvk@msn.com Please visit my home page: http://mysite.verizon.net/wa2pvk