[TenTec] HP GPS Receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] HP GPS Receiver
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Sat Jun 21 14:18:41 2003
I finally have my USB hub and RS-232 adapter communicating with the HP
Z3801A.

I think it's pretty much conclusive that there is absolutely zero benefit to
modify the internal COMM port jumpers to RS-232.  Why?  Because there's more
info on that connector (like precision 1 pulse-per-second "PPS) outputs
which preclude the use of a STANDARD RS-232 cable.  And so, if you have to
make up your own cable anyway and the default RS-422 works fine, it is best
to leave the unit alone and just make up a cable.  Hopefully, this
information can be updated on the relevant web pages.  They are
unnecessarily causing folks like me to make needless and in most cases, a
counter-productive change.

Now that that's off my chest, the satellites are tracking fine and as I type
this, the GPS survey is 30% complete.  I am assuming that the "GPS LOCK"
lite on the HP unit will light up after the survey is complete?

Thanks top all who helped me in my COMM port issues.

-Paul, W9AC