[TenTec] GPS Antenna feedline

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] GPS Antenna feedline
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Fri Jun 27 08:49:54 2003
While generally correct as to Vp values, some manfacturers dielectric has some
"quality control" issues (hence Zo isues too) and the classic numbers don't
apply.  You can usually expect Vp to be good for Andrew, Times, Belden, etc, but
watch out for RS and a few others (and even the big names have problems at
times).  Many folks have wondered why coax baluns by the formula don't work
right only to find out the calculated length isn't correct.  The one sure way is
to "dip" the coax and calculate the Vp based on the frequency and physical
length.

>From a practical sense, it may not be necessary to enter this number at all -
depends on your use - if it is just a super-stable 10MHz reference, a phase
delay is probably of little concern.  Time, OTOH, may or may not be a worry;
again, it is the application.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE