[TenTec] Corsair II f.p. meter continued + other fixes

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II f.p. meter continued + other fixes
From: tomnorth@airmail.net (Tom North)
Date: Thu Jul 3 21:37:29 2003
WD40 DOES react with brass, in varying degrees, depending on the alloy. Of
greater concern, if I am to read this that someone has used the WD40 in an
attempt to flush an assembled PTO, is that the solvents in it will raise
Cain with the plastics, and it will not be immediately evident.
Specifically, some of the constituents will cause many plastics to brittle
in (not too long a) time. This would have the most direct effect on the
pistol, and likely with the retainer washer, wedge etc. simply crumbling
under compression. Having done several of these, best I see it is that there
is no short route to doing it the way TT recommends.
Best luck & 73'
Tom  N5OZQ

Original Post:
A friend of mine sprayed the PTO in his OMNI C with
WD40. I worked great for awhile and then quit
altogether. When he brought it to me I took it apart
and found it was full of fuzzy green stuff that
apparently came from a reaction between the WD40 and
the brass parts. Another friend who is in the Canadian
Navy says they have been told not to use WD40 on
anything brass.

Dave, VE1ADH

 --- Gary Hoffman <ghoffman@spacetech.com> wrote: >
Rob,

> I'll be very anxious to know how your PTO lube job
> works out.  I'd like a
> process that would allow me to avoid a disassembly
> and rebuild.... just
<SNIP>