[TenTec] Why should I still order an Argo V?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why should I still order an Argo V?
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Mon Jul 7 16:22:43 2003
Duffy,
I kind of think your tone of voice might have told TT that you would not
have been happy with the non TCXO radio.  After all, you were waiting kind
of late to order any one for your vacation.   What was the last radio you
bought and when?  Times have changed since just few years back in ham
marketing.  Perhaps you have not bought anything in some time to know that.

I guess you have not been following the reflector long or you would have
known the radio has been in short supply since its introduction.  Ham radios
are not Chevy's,  The vendors cannot let them sit on the shelf in big
stocks.  They are not a commodity item made in mass production.

In this time of, Just In Time component suppliers, who do not often have
large quantities of special components to speed the building of radios; any
firm, TT included, has a problem keeping stock.  They may have trouble
getting parts just to build to orders placed in a timely fashion.

We, in the development business have been having trouble getting many kinds
of electronic components in the down economy, because no firm wants to risk
stocking too much and tying up capital.  Thus, I can appreciate that TT has
a waiting list for radios.  Same for the Orion model, as has been evident on
this reflector since its introduction.

Sorry you could not have instant gratification, but ham radio is a bit out
of that with society these days.   Had you considered a used radio?  Fine
bargains are out there on those in TCXO and conventional oscillator.
GL,
-Stuart
K5KVH