[TenTec] Product Reviews

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Product Reviews
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Mon Jul 7 21:00:57 2003
On 6 Jul 2003 at 17:21, George,  W5YR wrote:

>snip
>
> It is unfortunate that the ORION is forced into this "competition" prior to
> being fully developed and tested, etc. but as long as the company is able to
> continue its development efforts and the users are willing to go along, then
> eventually the goals will be reached. And many people will ultimately have
> the radio that fits *them*.

I'm not so sure it is "unfortunate" that the Orion is forced into this
competition.
And it surely was not "forced".  Ten Tec released it for shipping when they
were ready to do so.   From that point on, it began undergoing user scrutiny,
praise and criticism and most importantly, firmware and hardware revisions,
mostly firmware, easily downloaded and installed by the user.  It started out a
mighty fine radio and has become even better.

The end result is slowly but surely becoming what George refers to as a
"radio that fits them" [users].    This is in contrast to what we have been
used
to for decades where the manufacturers mostly determine what we need and
we ultimately "fit" ourselves to their fancies.

I like the Ten Tec approach.

This remindes me loosely of the earlier days of Linux development.   One of
the developers wrote a paper one time entitled something like "the Cathedral
and the Bazaar".  A very interesting piece on two VERY different
development philosophies.   I think it comes down to a paradigm shift in the
development of amateur radio equipment.   In a few years, we will probably
look back and comment on how crude these methods were but they are
necessary steps in the journey.

Exciting days these are, due mostly to Ten Tec and Elecraft, different
approaches but both producing superb products, tailored to their customers
needs and wants!

> Nothing is as good a test as living with a radio for a few days or weeks
> doing what one usually does with a radio in pursuing his/her own interests
> and activities. Lacking that opportunity, then one must necessarily look to

I can't repeat this too often.   Ten Tec gives us the opportunity to live with
the
radio for a month, during which time we should be able to evaluate it
thoroughly pursuing our own interests.    That 30 day trial pretty much
eliminates the argument some use saying Orion [or any other current Ten
Tec product] owners have to justify their big buck purchase whether it
deserves it or not.   Don't like it........send it back.   How can you beat it?

--

73 de Lee  WA3FIY
wa3fiy@radioadv.com