[TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase
From: duffyb01@fuse.net (duffyb01@fuse.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 12:54:38 2003
Well I did a lot of thinking about the Argo V purchase over vacation and took a
good look at the competition.  While the Japanese rigs may have more features,
and bands like VHF and UHF, they just seem to fall down on receiver
performance, CW as in QSK, and their implementation of DSP.  Having VHF and UHF
on the rig would have been nice, but that is about the only real difference.  I
am really surprised that after all the years, the Japanese cannot make a real
QSK rig - well at least one that does not have a mechanical relay!  I also am a
big "buy American" type, and I have enough Japanese rigs right now (well just a
TS2K, FT-817 and the typical handhelds) so I felt a bit of guilt about buying
another import when so many here are out of jobs.

So I ordered the Argo when I got back and TenTec said they were just putting
them in stock.  So a few days ago the Argo showed up.  Here is what I really
like - DSP, great on the Argo just like my Jupiter.  CW QSK - quiet! No
stinking relays.  Receiver is quiet as in less noise than the TS2K, but just as
good as the Jupiter.  Simple to operate.  Have not tried voice, digital modes
or software control - but that will come this weekend when I'll really have
some time to experiment.

What I don't like so far - you can only change bands in one direction.  I hope
TT can find a way to fix that in a future firmware change.  That is a pain.
Also with the bail raised, it does not appear that you can connect a DB9 to the
radio because the angle is so steep.  Not to mention when the bail is raised
the radio does not sit evenly on the table - bit of wobble there.

But the radio seems very solid and good looking.  One more thing, I would
suggest TT provide a better shipping carton or double box it.  I am really
surprised these things aren't being damaged in shipping the way they are packed.

Regards,

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com