Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 insight needed

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 insight needed
From: DennisKT5D@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:43:00 EDT
  What does your antenna VSWR through the amp (amp out of the circuit) look
like? It has probably changed with the added lenght of coaxial cable from your
exciter to the amp. I have a 425 and initially had VSWR problems on 40 and 20
until I played with the length of the cable from the exciter to the amp. After
a few tries I found that for my amp a length of about three feet of RG 8
brought the VSWR back to below 2:1 on all bands. A subsequent discussion with
Ten
Tec confirmed that this approach was indeed their recommendation as well.
  As for the noisy fan, fortunately I have a later model amp with the two
speed fan and it isn't a problem. The down side is the fan is no longer
available
so I do regular maintenance on mine. Band switch sections and the vacuum
relay replacements are still available but cost are outta sight. The Titan is
going to be one expensive beast to keep going if age mortality becomes a
factor.