Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 insight needed

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 insight needed
From: Kelly Jones <kjones@sullivan1.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:15:10 -0600
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Several suggested tightening the bolts on the transformer to reduce the hum. While I don't recall seeing any bolts when I had the PS open for cleaning/inspection and to change the 14g cord to 12g, I may have missed them. What I *do* recall seeing was crimp down banding straps holding the core together which I thought that was rather unusual. My guess is this particular 425 is an early one and has the older transformer style. I've read where TenTec replaced the original transformer type with a Peter Dahl.

And thanks for the tips on the sort-of tuned input. I guess I should have done my homework a little better in this area. While it does appear to have a tuned input, it's a FIXED tuned input. The suggestion to getting a better SWR was to play around with coax lengths. I actually did attempt this prior to posting to the reflector thinking that might help, which it did to some degree. My old jumper showed a 2.5:1 input SWR on 20 & 40m. The new jumper, which is about 10' long, dropped it a 2:1. For those that asked, this SWR measurement is into a dummy load, not into the antenna. However, there isn't much difference between the dummy and antenna. I'm not real hip on the idea that in order to lower my SWR I have to tinker with different lengths of coax. Seems kind of cheezy but I guess that's my only option.

As for the fan, most suggested trying some type of rubber mounts. I'll have to see what I can find for that. On the positive side, the amp does seem to perform well. About 60w drive produces 1500w. It certainly heats up the dummy load. I guess I got spoiled with my other amps - I haven't quite decided if I like this one or not. I'll give it a few weeks to grow on me, but could be for sale at the right price if anyone is interested.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions!

Kelly - KE9KD
http://www.dxcentral.com