Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 insight needed

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 insight needed
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:07:35 -0500

From: Kelly Jones <kjones@sullivan1.com>
And thanks for the tips on the sort-of tuned input. I guess I should have done my homework a little better in this area. While it does appear to have a tuned input, it's a FIXED tuned input. The suggestion to getting a better SWR was to play around with coax lengths. I actually did attempt this prior to posting to the reflector thinking that might help, which it did to some degree. My old jumper showed a 2.5:1 input SWR on 20 & 40m. The new jumper, which is about 10' long, dropped it a 2:1. For those that asked, this SWR measurement is into a dummy load, not into the antenna. However, there isn't much difference between the dummy and antenna. I'm not real hip on the idea that in order to lower my SWR I have to tinker with different lengths of coax. Seems kind of cheezy but I guess that's my only option.

Collins used that approach on the 30S1 amplifier when driven by the KWM2. As I recall they specified the exact length for the interconnecting coaxial cable. If Collins did it, it can't be all that bad, and you can be hip, and it aint cheesy.

73, Jim, wd4air

Thanks for everybody's suggestions!

Kelly - KE9KD http://www.dxcentral.com