[TenTec] Is this how it is done today?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Is this how it is done today?
From: "WA6MHW" <wa6mhw@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:56:48 -0700
I have been a licensed ham since 1959 and after twenty years of inactivity I
have gotten the bug again. The Ten Tec reflector has been a wonderful source
for information and guidance as well as leads for equipment offered for
sale.

Yesterday (Thursday, 8/28/03)  Brian Hunsaker, W5YE of San Benito, TX posted
several Ten Tec items for sale  The listing clearly listed the selling price
for the items if purchased separately or together. It clearly stated that
shipping was extra and provided contact information. (The Original reflector
message and subsequent messages are shown below). I immediately responded
that I would like to buy the amplifier. I replied two ways. First I sent an
e-mail to W5YE@arrl.net (see below) I provided my full name, call sign and a
contact phone number. Second; I called the phone number listed and left a
PRIORITY voice mail. I gave my name, call sign and phone number at the
beginning and end of the message and stated that I wanted to buy the
amplifier.

Earlier Today (Friday, August 29, 2003), I received an acknowledgement from
W5YE confirming that I was purchasing the amplifier and asking for my
mailing address and preferred method of shipment. Brian Hunsaker also
stipulated where payment was to be sent. I immediately replied with the
shipping information and that I would send payment the same day (Friday).

Later I received an e-mail telling me that he was selling the equipment to
someone else. I sent an e-mail reply and followed up with a phone call to
W5YE using the same number I left the voice mail on. Brian Hunsaker (retired
attorney and ARRL Volunteer Counsel -VC) stated that the reply he sent me in
NO-WAY meant that he had agreed to sell me the equipment. I told him I
believed we had an agreement. He further told me that he sent the same reply
to multiple hams and that everyone on the reflector knows this is how
equipment is sold. Since I will continue to look for an amplifier I am most
interested in knowing if Brian Hunsaker W5YE is right. Is this the Ham
Communities prescribed way for selling used equipment?  I really hope it is
not and that this is just an isolated case of an unethical person who
happens to be a ham.

Chip WA6MHW

Message Trail Follows

----------------

I have the following in near mint condition:

1. Hercules II (model 420)

2. Auto Tuner (model 253)

Asking $1600 for both, or $850 per each, if sold separately.  Prices do

not include shipping and packing.

These units have been used very little over the past few years, and

have always been in a "smoke-free", air conditioned environment.

Reply here, or contact:

Brian - W5YE

email: w5ye@arrl.net

Phone: (956) 357-0625

--------

Brian, I would like to buy the amp.

Chip Pardini WA6MHW

925-989-8900

I have the following in near mint condition:

1. Hercules II (model 420)

2. Auto Tuner (model 253)

Asking $1600 for both, or $850 per each, if sold separately.  Prices do

not include shipping and packing.

These units have been used very little over the past few years, and

have always been in a "smoke-free", air conditioned environment.

Reply here, or contact:

Brian - W5YE

email: w5ye@arrl.net

Phone: (956) 357-0625

----------

Hi, Chip. Good choice! It is really nice, and has not been used much

since I purchased it a few years ago. Not long after buying it, I got

interested in QRP, and low power CW.  The amp has been sitting in the

shack with the tuner - not being used. I also failed to mention in my

ad - I have the Ten Tec Rack Mount for these rigs.  It holds the Omni

VI (which I plan to keep), the Hercules, and the Tuner - all in a

"military/commercial-style" rack mount. It makes a very good looking,

professional package, with the same paint scheme and lettering as the

other Ten Tec gear. I won't have any need for it, after I sell the amp,

and tuner. I will take $400 for the rack.

Please send me your address, and shipping preference (UPS, etc). I will

check online for the shipping from here to you with UPS. If you prefer

a different method of shipment, let me know. Here is my address for the

check.

Brian Hunsaker

131 Lakeview South

San Benito, Texas 78586

  (956) 357-0625

Thanks again for your reply, and interest. I want this Hercules to have

a good home.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The Hercules II is going to a good and loving home. I am just getting back
into Ham radio after almost 20 years of inactivity, got my ticket in 1959. I
recently purchased an OMNI VI option 2 and I am looking forward to getting
the amp. Does the power supply require 220 or can I run it on 110 for a
while until I pull a 220 line? The rack sounds great and I would love to buy
it but I need to watch the budget right now. I still need to get a decent
antenna and more coax etc. As you know the hobby can get expensive.

I will get the check out today. If possible I would like the amp shipped via
FedEx ground.

Tnx & Best 73's

Chip Pardini

4174 Quail Run Drive

Danville, CA 94506

925-989-8900

Chip:

Sorry, but I had a buyer call me direct on the phone, and wants both

units. I have agreed to terms with him. Besides, I did not have an

opportunity to give you a final price, including freight as I didn't

know your address, or method of shipment until, this email.

73,

Brian