Re: [TenTec] Is this how it is done today?

To: wa6mhw@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is this how it is done today?
From: Carter Grabarczyk <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:03:54 -0400

WA6MHW wrote:

Please send me your address, and shipping preference (UPS, etc). I will

check online for the shipping from here to you with UPS. If you prefer

a different method of shipment, let me know. Here is my address for the

check.

Brian Hunsaker

131 Lakeview South

San Benito, Texas 78586

(956) 357-0625

Chip,

This is *not* how it's done today. It appears to be a "quirk" of this particular seller.

First, he is technically right. In the quote above, he does not actually come out and say you are the actual purchaser. However, when he says "send me your preferred method of shipping and mail your check to me at such and so address", that is a VERY STRONG IMPLICATION that you are indeed the actual purchaser. A large majority of the population, upon hearing "send your check to this address" would believe it's a done deal.

As to sending a reply to *many* people saying "send your check, etc"... well, this boarders on the naive, ignorant or foolish. It's poor business to imply to one person that you have a deal (when you don't), much less doing that to multiple people.

What probably happened is that a better deal came along from someone else (higher price, buying both pieces instead of one, pick up rather than having to ship, whatever). No matter the reason, that is at best (in my opinion), unethical.

Not a perfect world...

73/Carter/K8VT