Re: [TenTec] Is this how it is done today?

To: wa6mhw@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is this how it is done today?
From: James E McClellan <n8luv_jm@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:44:23 -0400
Hi Chip,

I am sorry that you have encountered a "raw deal" on the TenTec thread. I
have been a ham since 1961 and the accepted practice has always been the
"word" of the individual. If it was stated that the gear was yours then
it was yours - not someone later that may have offered more money for the
highly sought after model 253 auto tuner. I have seen those tuners go for
over $1000 at times. Last year I sold my 253 tuner for $350 with out
knowing of its price capabilities. Three weeks after the sale I was still
receiving calls from hams (some out of the country) that wanted to send
well over $900 for that tuner. I simply told all that called that the
deal had been made and the tuner was no longer for sale. --- Oddly I sold
it to a ham in Texas but not the person you mentioned.

Again I feel sorry for the "raw deal" that was dealt you and please be
assured that the manner in which you were confronted is by no means the
"norm" but perhaps a "right wing" approach of making a buck.

Jim --- N8LUV --- MI

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:56:48 -0700 "WA6MHW" <wa6mhw@arrl.net> writes:
> [...]
> inactivity I
> have gotten the bug again. The Ten Tec reflector has been a
> wonderful source
> for information and guidance as well as leads for equipment offered
> for
> sale.
>

> Yesterday (Thursday, 8/28/03)  Brian Hunsaker, W5YE of San Benito,
> TX posted
> several Ten Tec items for sale  The listing clearly listed the
> selling price
> for the items if purchased separately or together. It clearly stated
> that
> shipping was extra and provided contact information. (The Original
> reflector
> message and subsequent messages are shown below). I immediately
> responded
> that I would like to buy the amplifier. I replied two ways. First I
> sent an
> e-mail to W5YE@arrl.net (see below) I provided my full name, call
> sign and a
> contact phone number. Second; I called the phone number listed and
> left a
> PRIORITY voice mail. I gave my name, call sign and phone number at
> the
> beginning and end of the message and stated that I wanted to buy
> the
> amplifier.
>

> Earlier Today (Friday, August 29, 2003), I received an
> acknowledgement from
> W5YE confirming that I was purchasing the amplifier and asking for
> my
> mailing address and preferred method of shipment. Brian Hunsaker
> also
> stipulated where payment was to be sent. I immediately replied with
> the
> shipping information and that I would send payment the same day
> (Friday).
>

> Later I received an e-mail telling me that he was selling the
> equipment to
> someone else. I sent an e-mail reply and followed up with a phone
> call to
> W5YE using the same number I left the voice mail on. Brian Hunsaker
> (retired
> attorney and ARRL Volunteer Counsel -VC) stated that the reply he
> sent me in
> NO-WAY meant that he had agreed to sell me the equipment. I told him
> believed we had an agreement. He further told me that he sent the
> same reply
> to multiple hams and that everyone on the reflector knows this is
> how
> equipment is sold. Since I will continue to look for an amplifier I
> am most
> interested in knowing if Brian Hunsaker W5YE is right. Is this the
> Ham
> Communities prescribed way for selling used equipment?  I really
> hope it is
> not and that this is just an isolated case of an unethical person

---

---
> ----------------
>
> I have the following in near mint condition:
>

> 1. Hercules II (model 420)
>
> 2. Auto Tuner (model 253)
>

> Asking $1600 for both, or $850 per each, if sold separately.  Prices
> do
>
> not include shipping and packing.
>

> These units have been used very little over the past few years, and
>

> have always been in a "smoke-free", air conditioned environment.
>

> Reply here, or contact:
>

> Brian - W5YE
>
> email: w5ye@arrl.net
>
> Phone: (956) 357-0625