Re: [TenTec] Choice of rigs for contests

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Choice of rigs for contests
From: "Edward Crawford" <w4wvw@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:47:05 -0500
I have always stayed clear of making any comments concerning the Orion
discussions on the reflector, since I don't have any vested interest in the
radio, other than the fact it makes stimulating reading material, but I would
like to offer my $.02 worth on this topic.

During my recent visit to Ten-Tec during the hamfest, I had the opportunity
to sit down at the table in front of the Orion when no one else was using it
and
play with it for a short while. Having never before operated any such menu
driven
radio, and having been given no instruction, I found it was very to navigate
thru the menu,
and even figure out how to make changes to the pertinent settings that would
be used on a regular basis. And as Ron has already pointed out it was very easy
to make band excursions and mode changes.

I feel that if someone who is as inexperienced as myself was able to learn a
little
about such a complex machine in a short period of time, that it should be no
problem for anyone who is even semi-experienced at contesting and used to
operating the MP's and the Pro-II's, etc.

I had the opportunity this afternoon to make contact with a fellow who was
working
at ARRL. We were both on our lunch break, I was mobile, he was operating the
club
station there at HQ. He told me he recently had a chance to chat for a few
minutes
with Rick Lindquist, and Rick was telling him of his involvement with the Orion
review
project. He didn't elaborate on what was said, only that we would have to wait
until
January to read the review.

FWIW. 73. w4wvw