[TenTec] amp dollar/watt ratios

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] amp dollar/watt ratios
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:53:11 +0000
SGC SG500 $2.60 per watt.
PW1 and Quadra around 4 dollars per watt.  (these are $4K ea. right?)
Centurion $1.66/watt.  Okay, now it's more like $1.83/watt.
Titan III $2.33/watt
(based on list prices rounded off.)

You just flat-out always get more watts for ur money with tubes. Now, that may change in the future, and for now if you have the bucks for solid state, FB. I guess it's a matter of operator style. I don't make sudden wide QSY changes; I park somewhere for a few hours and ragchew. Therefore manual tuning is okay for me. In fact, I kind of enjoy it. Part of the ham experience and allows me to keep my eye on how the gear is doing. I liken it to the feel you get in an automobile with manual transmission.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ