[TenTec] RE: Orion Expanded Report

To: "Tracy, Michael, KC1SX" <mtracy@arrl.org>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Orion Expanded Report
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:27:25 -0500
KC1SX wrote:
While I don't have time this week to check the whole list that Bill posted, I looked at the 1 kHz data for the K2 and the Orion. The figures for the K2 should be 67 and 116 dB (both preamp on). The worst case data on the Orion is 84 dB for IMD (main rx, preamp off) and 118 dB for BDR (preamp on).

Thanks for the clarification Michael. This means what I originally posted 11 December was essentially correct (with the exception of the 1996 FT-1000MP spacing data). I'm sure some disbelievers will find another point to argue with however. ;-)

http://dayton.akorn.net/pipermail/tentec/2003-December/040048.html

While I am on the general subject, the upcoming K2/KPA100 data will not include any influence of the optional DSP unit, as that was not in the radio tested.

Someone observed that the DSP may not make too much difference since it is at audio and not another IF stage. Too bad you didn't include it since it would be interesting to know.

When the band gets *really* crowded with S9+40 signals, are you honestly trying to pick out signals that don't even move the S meter?

Believe it or not Michael, yes I am! A contest like the CQ 160 CW or ARRL 160 is the most challenging environment for any receiver IMHO. Local signals are stronger and DX signals are weaker than on any other band, and they are all crowded into 50 kHz. In the past, I've always been plagued with IMD with every receiver I've ever used, and there are always "weak ones" that I have had to give up on. I'm sure that will continue to be the case with Orion because each additional layer of weak signals always has yet another below it, but I suspect Orion will be hearing a weaker layer than the previous radios I've used.

        Thank you again for your responses here to clear the fog.
Again, I feel the ARRL Product Tests are one of the most valuable
services ARRL provides.  This should help all manufacturers to start
focusing on basic performance issues rather than the "whistles and
bells" that seem to dominate their marketing and advertising (and
unfortunately the minds of many hams these days).

73 & Merry Christmas!

Bill W4ZV