[TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 07:36:18 -0500
5B4AGN wrote:
>The behaviour I see in the Orion synth is not common to all synths, it
is peculiar to my Orion.  Whether that makes it an Orion design
characteristic affecting others or means I have a faulty synth in mine I
currently don't know.

ARRL wrote: http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr0401.pdf

>Figure 3?Worst-case spectral display of
the Ten-Tec Orion transmitter output
during composite-noise testing. Power
output is 100 W at 14.25 MHz. The carrier,
off the left edge of the plot, is not shown.
This plot shows composite transmitted
noise 2 to 22 kHz from the carrier, the
lowest we?ve measured for a multiband
transmitter.

        Related?  Could be that the excellent
phase noise performance is related to the
synthesizer loop settling time.  Don't know
for sure but it could be another of those darn
engineering tradeoffs!

73, Bill W4ZV