Re: [TenTec] Boosting contesting scores by cheating via aidofcomputer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Boosting contesting scores by cheating via aidofcomputer
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:50:25 -0800
From: "Jason Buchanan" <jsb@digistar.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Boosting contesting scores by cheating via aid
ofcomputer

> Dave Edwards wrote:
>
> > But that's what contests are about these days!!
>
> Oh yeah, I guess that's why I don't participate in 'em ;-)
>
> I'd like to see the contest scores if a guy could only use pencil/paper
> or a manual typewriter for keeping the logs.

Many of today's top contesters grew up with paper logs and dupe
sheets. Today they use the mental bandwidth once consumed
managing that paper and pencil and devote it to operating a second
radio which they use to search and pounce additional qsos between
contacts on the "run" radio. If you think that is easier than logging and
duping by hand, think again. I've done both, and believe you me,
paper logging is child's play compared to pulling off a properly
executed 2nd radio QSO in the midst of a good run on the
CQ radio (imagine starting a qso on 20 meters seamlessly while
your still copying the exchange from another qso on 40 meters).

Occasionally, you'll see a top tier operator turn in a very competitive
score with paper and pencil after falling victim to a last minute
computer failure. Memory keyers have been around since the 50's
and as far as I know have never been against the rules  (except for
straight key night). I had one in the mid 80's that used an 8748
microcontroller to generate serial numbers (K9CW keyer). Now
its done by the PC software. BFD.

As far as cheating goes, I would venture to say that it is harder today
than it was back in the paper and pencil era. Most entries are now
crossed checked by computer against other entries for callsign and
exchange errors. Busted qsos are deducted and penalty points
assessed. Top operators are typically making error rates less than
2% with many higher scorers coming in under 1%.

BTW, I see from your website that you use a vibroplex bug. Seems like
you are not totally against crutches, Jason. What's the matter, can't you
generate those dits by hand with a straight key :):)

My apologies to the reflector for the off-TT post, but I just
couldn't let this anti-contest hubris go unanswered :):)

73 de Mike