[TenTec] Orions & contesting

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orions & contesting
From: DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <kr2q@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:13:05 -0500
Hi all:

I really hate to be "un-positive" on my first post here, but I am rather
surprised and saddened at what I have been reading.

I am an HF DX contester...have been for nearly 35 years.  That means I
primarily work DX contests.  When I saw the specs for the Orion, I was very
intrigued, so I looked for sources to find more info and I deemed this
reflector to be one such source.  I have also been in regular contact with
other "well-known" and highly successful contesters who own an Orion.  Those
who are my peers (or better) in contesting are those whom I respect and
whose opinions I take seriously.

I must say that I am very disheartened to read some of the comments here.
Those interested in DX contesting have made some genuine criticisms - not to
disparage the Orion but to announce what IN THEIR OPINION (based on their
intended usage) are current issues.

I find it incredulous that those who do not participate as serious
contesters attempt to refute or deny what is being stated.  Pointing to
Scott (4PA) as an example that "this is a great contest radio" simply is not
a logical argument.  First and foremost, the operator wins the contest.  A
great op (such as Scott or any of dozens of others) can win a contest with a
very mediocre radio.  A "non-contester" can never win a contest by using an
Orion simply because they have chosen that rig.

To me, as a serious contester of some repute, it is clear that Orions are
not filling up the shacks of other serious contesters.  A major reason for
this, is that the few (and there are indeed VERY few) serious contesters who
do own them are not erupting with pure ecstasy; certainly NOT the opposite
either.  Is it is a very good radio?  Definitely.  Is it a contesters dream?
BAsed on the feeback I have been getting, no (or perhaps, not yet).  I will
not rehash the many reasons why the Orion is currently falling short of the
mark for serious contesters; most have been mentioned on this reflector.
But I will say that the PTT on cw is probably the first issue mentioned by
many serious contesters I have been in contact with, including one who just
took receipt a few days ago (meaning, while he is still learning the radio
and can't possibly know all there is yet, this was ALREADY identified as a
shortfall).

Contesters want the absolute best all the time.  BEST means operationally,
not just specs.  You cannot have a BEST radio with poor specs.  Equally, you
cannot have a BEST radio that has multiple and serious (for the specified
application) shortfalls.

Please accept the criticisms posted here (and elsewhere) as genuine and
serious concerns submitted by OWNERS who want things to improve so that
their radio will indeed be the BEST for their application.  Also remember
that one cannot be all things to all people.

The world's "best" basketball sneakers may be a poor choice for
rock-climbers, and vice-versa.

de Doug KR2Q